Sunday, September 6, 2009

Application Letter

Job title: Lab Officer

Company: Institute of Bioengineering & Nanotechnology

Responsibilities

  • Organise and and maintain integrity of laboratory information in print and on file server
  • Responsible for lab safety and smooth running of routine activities in the lab
  • Participate in research projects by contributing technical competence in biological assays, molecular and cell biology, or analytical methods such as HPLC, LC-MS and CE

Requirements

  • Bachelor's degree in Science or Engineering
  • 2 or more years of working experience preferred
  • Good communication, interpersonal and organization skills
  • Hand-on experience with biological assays, molecular/cell biology, micro-array and real-time PCR or analytical chemistry preferred.



_______________________________________________________



122D Rivervale Drive
#13-462
Singapore 544122
+6591465595
ohjiamin@gmail.com

September 3, 2009

Human Resource Manager
Institute of Bioengineering & Nanotechnology
31 Biopolis Way
The Nanos, #04-01
Singapore 138669
Tel: +65 6824 7000


Dear Sir/Mdm,

Application for Lab Officer/Senior Lab Officer (Cell and Tissue Engineering)

I read a post from NUS ejob centre of your need for a lab officer for the Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology. I believe that my education and work experience will make a contribution to A.Star in this position.

In May, I will graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry from National University of Singapore. As you may know, NUS is one of the leading universities in Singapore that offers a dynamic science education. The various analytical methods which I learnt hands-on will be useful for this post. In addition, I have worked at various companies in areas such as sales and accounting which helped to broaden my perspectives and equipped me with good communication and organization skills.

From my resume, you would have seen that I have helped to organise events such as a charity run for the NUS science club. From the event, I learnt how to work in a dynamic team comprising of people from various backgrounds and how to resolve conflicts when the need arises. In addition, I was part of the marketing and publicity team in my hall's concert and Dinner and Dance respectively. I have learnt the importance of good communication skills from all my school activities and I hope I can apply them for this job post.


I believe that the combination of my working experience and laboratory training in NUS is well-suited to the lab officer position described. I have enclosed a copy of my resume with additional information about my qualifications. Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to receiving your reply.

Sincerely,




Oh Jia Min

Enclosure

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jia Min,

    The job experiences stated were relevant to the job requirements. But you did not talk much about what you have learnt in the lab. Maybe you can include experiments which you once handled (e.g HPLC). Other than that, i think it's well-written. :)

    Love,
    Shiny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jia Min,

    I agree with shiny that you should include the lab skills you have acquired. Since the job positin you applied for involves Cell and Tissue Engineering, you can also elaborate about the relevant lab apparatus and techniques learnt involving it.

    Perhaps you may also like to include your contact number as another mean of contacting you? That may bring more convenience to the interviewer as well.

    Other than that, I think it's really good that you mentioned not only your curriculum activities in school, you did mentioned what you've learnt from them as well. =).

    Thanks for sharing!

    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jiamin,

    I like this application letter as it is really concise and you have shown clear understanding about the job you are applying for.

    Perhaps you can explain more explicitly how accounting and sales can be relevant to your perspectives and organization skills. I feel that Paragraph 3 clearly explains how what you acquire the skills from the activities you participated.

    I noticed that you use the following phrase; "you would have seen, you would have known". In my point of view, I feel that these phrase are assuming that the manager knows alot about you.

    As a whole this is a great application letter. Thank you for your efforts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jiamin =)

    Your application letter is well-done with very clear formatting and relevant points. The subject of each paragraph is very clear too.

    To be very picky, I think that you could substitute one of the “I believe” with other phrases like “I trust” to prevent too many repetitive words.

    Since, this is a job that is very relevant to your current studies, more elaborations on the skills and knowledge learnt could increase the impressiveness of your application letter. This can be done by describing some of the laboratory experiences in class with some references to the techniques used.

    Hope my advice helps! Good job! =)

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete