Friday, November 13, 2009

OP reflections

Yay! I’m so relieved that this tough week is over and it is now time to reflect on TinkyWiki’s presentation. When our group was preparing the slides, we were slightly torn between the idea of having a set of professional looking slides and a set of slides with more colours and pictures. Some of us felt that professional looking slides should have a uniform colour theme for the boxes containing each point while some felt that a colourful slide might better capture the audience’s attention. We even consulted Brad and asked him which theme is better. Thinking back, that question seems quite insignificant. Sorry Brad! :p

Sometimes, our group will have slightly different ideas on how we should present an idea but we always managed to compromise and objectively pick the idea that the majority felt was better. I am glad for those different ideas as I felt that our slides were refined after talking through the difficulties. In addition, everyone in the team was very helpful and we aided each other in completing the slides which we are responsible for.

I realized that I was less nervous for this presentation as compared to my peer teaching experience (Xiuling and Rebecca will know how nervous I was). One of the reasons might be the fact that we had more time to practise for the script. For the presentation, Hazel and I decided to bring our cue cards along to boost our confidence level. I feel that I looked down to flip my cards too often as I was scared that if I blanked out and I am not at the correct page, I will have to flip frantically. I should have the confidence to dump those cards!

Another point would be that Hazel and I were whispering to each other while Shin Ye was presenting. I did not realize that we were so distracting until Patrick commented. I have learnt that even though I am not presenting, as long as I am standing in front of the audience I should be aware of myactions as it might divert the attention away from the speaker.

Finally, I would like to thank both Shin Ye and Hazel. We had a lot of fun and laughter during discussions and they have been fabulous team mates. It was a great experience working with them! :D

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jiamin!

    Congrats Jiamin! You did a pretty good job for the presentation. You spoke confidently and had good eye contact with the audience. I could see you were less nervous during the presentation and this showed that you had been well prepared for it.

    However, I felt that you could speak with more variation in tone during the presentation. This would better show emphasis on the important points that you were trying to convey.

    As Patrick has mentioned, we were slightly distracted by the little conversation between you and Hazel while it was Shinye’s turn to present. This would give the audience the impression that the team was not being professional. I used to have this problem too, as I had the urge to talk to someone besides me to relieve my tension from the presentation. However, I have learned to control my actions so that I would not divert my audience’s attention away from the presentation.

    For the presentation slides, I could see the efforts made by your team on using visual aids to captivate the audience’s attention. Overall, I felt that the presentation of your ideas were clear and easy to understand.

    I believe the presentation was a good learning experience for all of us and it definitely better prepare us for future presentations. =)

    Peiling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jiamin!! :D

    YES! Oral presentation is finally over! I can see that you are greatly relieved after the presentation.

    During your presentation, you look very steady and composed. I did not feel that you were nervous at all!

    Indeed, I realized that there were several times where you referred to your cue cards, making it felt like you were not familiar with your content. Hence, do not fear! Go ahead and forfeit the cue card!! It would boost your appearance by being confident.

    I felt that your speech was very well done, just a minor problem in the tone variation. Otherwise, I thought you did a great job.

    That aside, your slides were effective and clear as there were no conflicting colours against the background. Even though there were pictures of the team, I thought it was rather heartwarming as it made the presentation less stern.

    However, as many had commented that the ending was a little too informal. It would be best to strike a balance between the level of formality.

    One point I like to mention is that, the project objective was not clearly emphasized as you presented on the benefits of internship instead of the description of the problem. Hence, I was rather confused about the team project.

    Perhaps you could give a introduction of the problem and then relates to the benefit of having the internship.

    Other than that, I think your group had did a great job on the presentation. Thank you for the hard work!!

    :D

    - Huahua -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jiamin!!

    I saw you smiling widely after you presented. I can uunderstand that joy! OP is finally over! yay!

    During the presentation,i felt you projected your voice well. Even though you referred to your cards a few times, it was not a major problem because you recovered quickly.I feel you might want to improve by adding variation to the tone of your voice.

    I also realised you were quite stern looking during your presentation.It is so unlike the usual you!=) I understand you were nervous.perhaps you could transfer that nervousness by smiling or moving your hands?


    As a group, we felt that certain parts of the presentation seemed repetitive. Was it because you wanted to emphasise on your points?The visual aids(especially the ones with all your faces, and the way you close your presentation) were certainly entertaining! However, as discussed in class, certain level of humour could be acceptable depending on how formal the presentation is.If it were a real life situation, it might not be appropriate.Other than that, the presentation was clear and easy to follow.

    Your group did a great job in captivating our attention. With all these exposure, i am sure you will have more confidence in public-speaking.Dont be discouraged ok?

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI JIAMIN!

    It's finally over! Would like to thank you for your effort. You have been a great team member! I'm sure the 3 of us did great!

    Love,
    Shiny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jia Min!

    Thank you for your efforts! It was great working with you too!

    Hazel =).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's great that you and your group members enjoyed so much the presentation process. That IS very important, and I'd guess it added to your creative energy.

    Thanks again for the great effort, first with the project and presentation, then with this reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PeiLing: I didn’t notice that I never vary my tone. Will take note in future!

    Huahua: Actually, I was slightly nervous that day! And yes I agree with you that looking down at the cue cards will make me look like I’m not familiar with the content of my speech.

    Regarding the part about introducing of the problem first, that was our initial plan but if we place the benefit of internships behind the problem, it is difficult to link the problem and Hazel’s part about the proposed system. That’s the reason why we chose to put the problem behind the benefits.

    Ruth: Haha! I didn’t know I was quite stern looking! Maybe I forgot to smile as I was too serious. I will remember to smile more in future presentations. :)

    Yup we try to repeat what the previous presenter said to help the audiences remember the important parts of the presentation. :)

    Shiny + Hazel: Thanks for reading my post! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this blog Great article amazing information thanks for sharing..!
    Angry Status

    ReplyDelete